Twas the night before the first day of school and all through the house, children kept getting out of bed and stirring about. First day jitters plagued one of them, while the other 2 just couldn't stay in bed and let the dreams come. Backpacks were packed and set by the back door with care, in hopes that we might actually be on time because teachers will stare.
And that's it....I'm out of things to rhyme. I'm tired. Made too many cookies and cinnamon rolls today and now I'm sitting in the dark, pondering this school year and what it will hold for our little family unit. Thankful this year we are not the "new" kids and that each of my children have a few friends from last year in their classes. That sets my heart at ease. Enjoying these last few moments of peace before the chaos begins in the morning. I have a 5th grader! Seriously. That is just crazy. My little preteen is ready and very excited. So thankful for that. I have a 2nd grader that still will always be my baby. She is upstairs as I type so excited, she can't fall asleep. Ready to see her little group of friends that prowl the playground together.
And my Gracie girl is going to be home with me this year. Yep. Sounds a little crazy, I am well aware. It has been a decision that was met with much prayer and guidance. Never did I think a year ago at this time I would be homeschooling one of my children. But, the decision unfolded itself in a very slow and precise way for us as the school year progressed last year. Grace had a difficult year, and faced it head on, tried her best, and in the process lost most of her self-confidence. That was so hard to watch. Moving as much as we have makes it tough. She passed 2nd grade, but I couldn't throw her in 3rd grade knowing she isn't ready for another fast paced year at her school. One benefit to private school but also down side is that private schools move at warp speed. They pride themselves at being "one grade level" ahead, but if you have a child that doesn't grasp everything the first time it is thrown at her, it can be tough. So we are a team this year. Me and my Gracie girl. We are going to work through this year at our own pace and gain some confidence back, because I know this little girl is so capable and ready. And the bonus for me is that I get to spend a year with just her. Some serious bonding time. I like the sound of that......a lot.
