
Time has a way of creeping up on you doesn't it? I was cleaning out Maddie's closet today and came across so many things that are now too small for her. It seems like just yesterday she was wearing them. And it reminds me that another season has passed. Last years Spring clothes are now too small, and I begin to pull out some things Grace used to wear and that makes me realize she too is growing. Bummer. :) Why must our children grow?! And why must the problems grow with them? We are switching into another mode of parenting and I feel like I have a newborn again in some ways. Like when the nurse wheels you out to your car with your firstborn child and you look at her and wait for her to take the child back and say, "We're not sure you know exactly what you are doing yet." It's sink or swim. And you manage...you find your feet, and gain some confidence that you may just be able to take care of this little person after all. Then they grow and grow and before you know it, you are giving away all the strollers and baby joggers and booster seats. They now can actually sit in a car and wear a seatbelt. Who knew!!
And with that growth comes more responsibility and change on both sides. You have to trust more that what you have done up to this point as parents is going to start to shine through in these little people. You have to watch them learn to thrive in situations that kind of stink. Sink or swim. And resist the urge to gather up your little clan of people, move to Montana, and live on 10 acres and homeschool them. And trust me....it's always an option. :) I know I've said and had this said to me 1,000 times...but, being a parent is without a doubt the most challenging and most rewarding thing I will ever do. I have lived and breathed these little people for 10 years, maybe a little too much.
So here is to the next phase of parenting. Drew and I are jumping in with both feet....life preservers ready....to let them hang on when they need a little breather from what is thrown their way.